Local Shops & B...
Local Shops & Businesses Local Shops & Businesses
The photograph shows most of the Hipperholme shops along the Leeds and Whitehall Road.  The traders mentioned below are those in occupation from the 1920s to the 1950s, although some continued into the 1960s.  The names in parentheses indicate the current businesses carried on at the premises.

Harold Sunderland, butcher.  (Yum Sing Cantonese Take-Away.)

Hilbert Wade, electrician.  (Morley’s fish and game shop, now run by John Beacock.)

Mrs. Parker’s haberdashery.  (the nail studio.)

Sam Pearson in the 1920s, followed by Miss Shaw, both confectioners; Jack Marshall took over in the late ‘40s/early ‘50s.  (M & M Wine and Food Co.)

Wilkinson’s shoeshop and boot and shoe repairer; this became the Co-op Shoeshop.  (Howard and Jennifer Naylor, Ladies’ and Gentlemen’s Salon; now Brassiere, sellers of lingerie.)

Dyson’s Greengrocery.  (Travelways.)

Sammy Turner, chemist; this became the Co-op Chemist in the late ‘40s.  (Charisma, hair and tanning.)

Ward’s Plumbers.  (cordelia james, hairdressing.)

N. Armitage, chemist for forty years from the 1920s.  (Rowlands Pharmacy.)

Post Office, kept at one time by Miss Fitton.  (Post Office.)

Mrs. Gelder, ladies’ haberdashery, which became Mrs. Hunter’s.  (impressions – changing pictures into portraits.)

J.W. Hickman and Son, painter and decorator.  The business was eventually run by the son, who was a painter and decorator, and the two daughters, Lily and Connie, who looked after the shop.  In 1962 Dennis Bottomley moved his television business to these premises from Denholmegate Road.  (Fung Wong Chinese Take-Away.)

J. Stevens, Whitehall Dairy.  They were there in c.1907, as can be seen from the photograph on p.33 of Chris Helme’s 1987 publication Reminiscences of Bailiff Bridge, Lightcliffe and Hipperholme. It was possibly known as a dairy because they sold milk, unusual for a shop in the pre-bottled milk days, or it may simply have been that they sold butter and cheese.  (Milk was delivered in Hipperholme by the brothers Tommy and Johnny Smallwood, who farmed from their house in Wakefield Road, seen on p.32 of Chris Helme’s book.  Householders filled their cans from churns carried on the horse-drawn cart.)  (Shelf Village Bakery.)

Finally, the offices of Hipperholme Urban District Council, until the area was amalgamated with Brighouse in 1937.  Martins Bank had a sub-branch in the building at the time.  The offices became the branch library, and Martins became Barclays until the branch was closed in the early 1990s.  (Branch library, Ashfield Mortgage Shop and new image personal training.)

                                                                                                                                               RMH

Add comment